Projects sheets updated throughout semester as projects evolve. (page perpetually underdevelopment)
The following are projects, systems of critique, guides, PCA awards, and distributive student leadership that I have developed during my time with the WASH [Workshop in Art Studio + History] Foundation Program while at Sam Houston State University in role of Visiting Assistant Professor of Art. These projects are constantly evolving.
View teaching portfolio
- Habits of mind and making
crit guide plus process crit guide for traditional gestalt dot project.
Learning to recognize, observe, deconstructing our own assumptions, habits, chunking is critical to successful use of the creative process and outcome. I focus a lot on watching for our problem solving habits, assumptions of the assumed (you know). Chunking is functional but not helpful in the creative fields. It is also a great first crit because they are not evaluating in terms of success, but instead evaluate but apparent habits of compositional solutions–the habits apparent among each set of 30-40 thumbnails to be in the arenas of scale variation, spacing, symmetry/assymmetry, location within the frame, white space/negative space, orientation.
- Daydream or Nightmare [guide]
First day, non-graded task that introduces students immediately to risk taking, personal voice, critique process, working with alternate non-art materials. Additionally it builds camaraderie and accelerates the process of team building.
Emily and Lee performing their first day of college nightmare. first day creative ice breaker.
table team first day of class. `
- Design elements performative soundscapes. First day collaborative peer ice breaker. Introduces elements of design, critique, and initiates the establishment of peer camaraderie. Peers then determined what each team was a why. This creates a dynamic discussion of what each element it is and how it is portable in meaning across the arts and senses – visual, sound, text, taste.
- Human Comp Collabs [project sheet; crit guide]
photo table team collaborative that used traditional gestalt dot exercises as a jumping off point but introduces a humanizing theme (developed by team). The teams often selected themes revolving around of harmful habits but on occasion the theme of delight was chosen.
The influence of main stream media was often evident.
- Dot/MapScapes [project sheet; process crit guide; comparative crit guide + essay; alternate crit guide; grade rubric] uses traditional gesalt exercises and sampling from mapping as a jumping off point
- Sphere Blitz [spheres project sheet]
- Human Hybrids [larger than life] + Human Hybrids project sheet strategy 1 + 2; Human Hybrids project ; proposal crit guide; sample crit guide–crit modeled after american idol with 3 professor judges–craft, concept, presentation; additionally students participated in people (student) choice awards in which students selected a winner for each crit category]
- StoryLINE [storyLINE story v1; storyLINE story crit; storyLINE story v2; storyLINE independent drawing series; storyLINE ARTifact – refining artifact research 1 & 2; crit guide] combines creative writing and mark making in space.
initial marking making occurs during story writing phase.
- Identity Essentials [project sheets + crit guide + sample people choice ballet] photo based assignment sampling from history of feminism
- Distorted hierarchy of ritual [project sheet] [crit guide]
- Color / Texture / Sequencing. [project sheet] Emphasis on contrast of color, scale, density, organic forms vs geometric, negative/positive, opacity/translucency, degree of visual noise, craftsmanship, variety. Sequencing to be based on rhythm through unity and contrast. Sequencing student question: Does the use of color and texture, unity and contrast create the illusion of story, rhythm, or music?
- PCA – People Choice Awards. Students view all peer work and privately vote for best concept, best craft, best composition, best x (defined per project). This process ensures that students view all work critically. Eventually students cared about winning this more than they focused on grades. The prize a simple paper plate taped to a Popsicle stick. Details of their award written on with sharpie and then all students in class signed each award plate. This were handed out after each crit. All crits were student hung like an exhibition. Below is a shot of winners (PS studio population ranged from 30-48 students per course)
- Table teams (to be elaborated upon) developed for use to develop and distribute student leadership for project ideation, process critiques, end project critiques, some full on collaborative projects.
Online presence developed.WASH facebook | WASH spring 2013 [course Pinterest albums] | WASH Fall + Spring 2012 | WASH spring 2010 | WASH fall 2010 | WASH spring 2011 | WASH fall 2011 |
Projects developed under leadership of Bill Davenport for Blueline Theater
- Monologue Video [project sheet; process crit guide + rubric]
- Uncomfortable Video [project sheet + crit guide]
- 60 seconds of Blueline Performance [project sheet + crit guide]
Projects adapted from other Artist/Educators
- Dots (UH Design Department) [project sheet; guides developed by KK habit crit guide; concept process crit guide; crit guide + sample grade sheet]
- Squared (UH Design Department) [project sheet + guides developed by crit guide + xtra]
- Mark Making (UH Design Department – Beckham) [project + device sheet; following developed by KK process crit; mini poster crit; independent drawing series]
- Imagine Collab (WARP) project sheet; facility usage proposal + comparative crit guide [kk]]
- Modular Madness (WARP) [project sheet + crit guide]
- Metaphor (WARP) [project sheet]
- Inflatatopia (WARP) [project sheet; preparatory blitz; proposal + model checklist; grade sheet]
- Big Idea (WARP) [project sheet + crit guide]
- Artist Influence Research Paper (adapted from Sheryl Murphy-Mann) [project sheet]Color (adapted from Powell) [project sheet + crit guide]
- Formal Isolation Video (adapted from Powell) [project sheet + evaluation form]
- Color (adapted form Powell). Image is of a series of students working in similar color palettes. Student installed for end of semester review.
past course websites
- developed for WASH [Workshop in Art Studio + History]
WASH facebook | WASH spring 2013 [course Pinterest albums] |
WASH Fall + Spring 2012 | WASH spring 2010 | WASH fall 2010 |
WASH spring 2011 | WASH fall 2011 |
- Software for Design UH
- Intermediate Graphics UH
- Drawing for Graphics UH
- Fundamentals of Design UH
- 2D animation AIH
- vector animation AIH
- presentation authoring (director)