process conceptual crit guide
MW for 9/10
TTH from 9/6
[p1] dot concept crit guide—proximity, continuance, similarity
Takes notes in VJ and listen carefully; pay attention to others perceptions.
- Can you see their viewpoint? Is it stronger than your initial intent?
- What could be adjusted to strengthen either your intent or teams perception?
- Are you surprised? How so? Not surprised? Why not?
- For final three selected by team, agree or disagree with each selection and explain why?
- Be VERY specific. How could even these be strengthened? TEST IT?
- If yes, make this refinement for final ones.
Address all questions in crit write up.
- Quickly SORT as a team into categories based on 3 dominating principle. Team may also need to “don’t know pile.”
- One category at a time, analyze for meaning; eliminate the weakest -‐ flip over and set to side away from rest; continue process of elimination down to best (strongest meaning + interesting/novel visual solution) TWO for each category.
- Select final 3—Be sure the final set shows varied/distinct solutions. Lay them out together (couple inches between each; not touching). Are they too much the same or do they show good variety? How interesting are they as a set? Using tracing paper over each (3) quickly note suggestions for refine to strengthen composition and/or concept.
Crittee follow up
- Tape original team selected three solutions in VJ (or Xerox copy).
- Put crit write up below comps.
- Based on crit determine any items still needing to be resolved/refined and update. Test changes (render them). If yes, go with refined solution.
- You may make an executive decision to substitute ONE totally different comp than the team chose, BUT for that one you must include tape copy of team-‐selected comp next to one you select AND give a written justification as to why you have chosen to switch out that comp.
- Execute top three pristine BW on 5×5 INKJET MATTE PHOTO PAPER. Mount each 5×5 on 9×9 black construction paper with 5×5 perfectly centered.
- Complete revisions and render final solutions for next studio.
Due 9/12-‐13, installed prior to 9:30 PLUS [p2] squared BLITZ. 9/12-‐13, installed prior to 9:30 am.0